Sunday 25 September 2022

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Do you think many posts don't get the front page attention they deserve?

Ask HN: Do you think many posts don't get the front page attention they deserve?
32 by sph | 29 comments on Hacker News.
We all know about the tyranny of user-upvoted content. Some good posts fall through the cracks and never get the attention they deserve. But I think HN is suffering from a slightly different problem. There are so many good posts that often extremely relevant and well received content never even hits my front page, and I am on this site a lot . I often use the "Search" feature to surface articles I am interested about, and many times I happen upon posts in the 100+ votes from the past day or two that somehow I didn't even see. I wonder if the really quick decaying algorithm paired with the amount of quality posts creates the unfortunate situation that reaching the front page or the intended audience is just a matter of pure luck. Have we reached a singularity point where Hacker News has become too popular and on average too interesting that content relevant to your interests rarely reaches you? EDIT: ironically, this post is now on the front page. If there's one thing I love about this site, is how it's slightly biased in favour of Ask HN and Show HN posts. Even in such a massive forum, everybody gets their 15 minutes in the spotlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment