Sunday 8 May 2022

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How do I get my Google account back?

Ask HN: How do I get my Google account back?
36 by j4tech | 28 comments on Hacker News.
A couple of days back, after I logged in to my gmail account, a security message flashed that someone had logged into my account and I was prompted to change the password or confirm that it was me who logged in. This was during a time when I had to replace my fried router twice within the span of 2 days (one that I rented immediately from my internet service provider on the same day my router died and then with brand new router that I bought a day later). I presumed that the security message was because of new IP addresses that must have been assigned. While I was initially able to log in to my accounts after replacing both the routers, on subsequent logins, I started getting a message that google was not able to ascertain that the email accounts really belonged to me. I managed to use my recovery email on 2 of my accounts and was able to gain access. However, after I entered a recovery email on the email account that displayed the security alert, google refused to accept that the account belongs to me. I have had this account, where I have my whole digital life, ever since goggle offered one. Unfortunately I did not have a phone number associated with this account. My understanding is I would have been able to recover my account, If I had one. Is there a way I can recover my account? I have started changing the email id’s at various business and agencies where I have used this Id. Is there anything else I need to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment