Monday 22 November 2021

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How do you start a new career (with minimal qualifications)?

Ask HN: How do you start a new career (with minimal qualifications)?
23 by ryanmercer | 5 comments on Hacker News.
This week will be my 16th Thanksgiving in a row working. I haven't had a cost-of-living increase since 2008, the annual merit increases cap out right around inflation (or under) most years, I've been working 60~ hour weeks, working 6 day weeks, for over half a year now. In the past 2 weeks we've had 3 people quit from just my team. Put a fork in me, I'm done. The problem is, my job doesn't really translate to much. I fill out paperwork all day, clearing international freight through customs. I don't have a GED, I'm still 3~ years out from earning a degree (which I don't actually want, but employers 100% do). I've even been rejected by companies in my industry, Flexport for example rejected me outright for not having a degree at a time when I had 11 years of experience "Hope all is well, Ryan! I wanted to extend a virtual wave and thank you for your interest in joining our team. You obviously have many of the skills we're looking for. However, for the Customs Brokerage role we require a BA/BS degree as well as previous experience in a broker role doing entries and customs classifications." so I struggle to even escape my current employer for a job that pays even remotely what I make (about 39k in central Indiana after 15 and a half years, while McDonalds is starting at $13-15 an hour all over the state...). I'm at the point where the only joy I have in my life is what little time my wife and I get to spend together, and some volunteer stuff through my religion. Today I'll clock in, work 11 hours, get to have dinner with my wife and do some classwork, then back to bed to rinse and repeat. On Thanksgiving I'll only work 10 hours... What do I do? I can't get a degree any faster than I already am.

No comments:

Post a Comment