Sunday 31 October 2021

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Been in the IT Industry for 10 Years with Nothing to Show For

Ask HN: Been in the IT Industry for 10 Years with Nothing to Show For
23 by OulaX | 14 comments on Hacker News.
PRE-DESCLAIMER: I apologize if posting such rants and discussion threads is against the rules of HN. DESCLAIMER: This post can be quite long for some people, and I get it if no one wants to read it, but I would be grateful if you don't downvote me, maybe someone who's actually willing to help might see and answer me, because quite honestly I've been stuck in a terrible rut and I need some professional help. Some Information About Me, I am 25 years old, and I live in a third world country (Iraq to be specific), the city I live in almost has no software-based startups / companies, also goverment work in IT is very very very difficult to get due to the amount of corruption there is, what I am currently doing is some freelance work, sometimes a client comes and wants a very basic static website, and I build it for them (Using a premade template from ThemeForest, because I am not a UI/UX designer). Sometimes a client requires a mobile app, so I stich together an app by following tutorials here and there, even though most of my stuff works, they are by no means professionally made, nor scalable or maintainable, I just need to do these jobs in order to get some cash flowing on, otherwise I would have nothing to depend on. I have gotten my CS degree last year when I was 24, and currently I have a BSc in CS. I have been coding 10 years ago, but to this date I haven't built something that I can be proud of! I am stuck in a rut trying to specialize in a niche and keep on improving myself on that particular area. I have tried Frontend Web Development but quite honestly I really hate working with CSS, it's not the syntax that I struggle with, it's the fact that making a site responsive really really is something I hate, I mostly hate working with UIs. When I was in college I really loved working on the console, I built great apps using the console, and I quite enjoyed what I was doing! We were learning C++ at the time, and working on the console made me think about my logic, my code, my idea, instead of sweating about the design, or how a button looks, or how to make text appear good on all screen sizes. I want to try out Native mobile development but I am not sure whether it would be the right choice for me or not. I am stuck, and there's so much on my mind that I want to speak here but I can't explain them easily without going too much into the details. I really want a hand guys, and would be willing to answer or comment on any ideas or questions you might have! EDIT: Sometimes I also think coding might not be for me aswell! Maybe I made the wrong choice, but there are times that I enjoy coding, especially when someone gives me a problem or an assignment to solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment